Saturday, December 15, 2012

More movies!!

                                         With exams fast approaching, I've still managed to watch some movies that I really liked, in this past month. Cannot really suppress from doing what I truly love, can I? :) I'll try being more specific this time around, cannot do a full blog post on a movie, unless it is really special eheh. All these movies fit perfectly into my favorite genre of 'Feel-good movies' :) Listing them in the order I watched:

*Warning - NO spoilers ahead :)*

Life of Pi - Big budget, big-name director, 3-D and surprisingly, it delivers too. Had got my expectations low after movies like Avatar and Avengers had failed to fully satisfy me. Having not read the book worked. A great story of survival and the bond between living beings. Old favorite Irrfan Khan and new face Suraj Sharma were exceptional. The best 3-D movie I've watched. Pleasing to the eyes, mind and soul, altogether. Taiwanese director Ang Lee has made us Asians proud :)


English Vinglish - Watched this by co-incidence. Just seemed to be another phony bollywood flick trying to draw masses at first glance. Proved me wrong, totally. Just shows how difficult it is to pick the good stuff among all the rubbish in bollywood these days. Spectacular tale of a less educated Indian house-wife, standing up for herself, in her family and in a foreign land. The first-time director does a good job. Its music too  has been on my playlist lately, have become a fan of Amit Trivedi already :) What a comeback by yesteryear's screen icon Sridevi. Didn't seem she's past 40, really.


The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Just watched it yesterday. Was still thinking about it this morning. I've always liked British accent, and this movie was full of it eheh. Based on a book once again, wonder how many movies are made every year based on adapted screenplay. Story of a group of British old-timers, who are having difficulty coming to terms with old age, how they end up in a 'exotic hotel' in Rajasthan, India and finally feel good about themselves. Didn't know much about the director but he surely has done well. Dev Patel of Slumdog Millionaire is in a similar role but the stand-out performance was by Judi Dench, that old lady who's always seen bossing James Bond around :)



                                         




4 comments:

  1. Have not watched Life of Pi or English Vinglish. But about The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, I loved the movie. I am always watching British movies, as you have said mostly literary period dramas. And guess what, almost everyone in the Best Exotic, I have watched them in one of my movies. So seeing them together in the Indian backdrop made me thrilled... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been also watching a lot lot of movies recently

      Delete
  2. i haven't watched any of the movies you mentioned above. But after reading your blog, i'm definitely gonna watch all these movies now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys, keep in touch :)

    ReplyDelete