Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Walking, for health...

                                 Don't know whether it is my fascination with walking or the after-effects of the recent trek, I have started going on morning walks these days. The spare time (due to supplementary exams) helped as well!! :) I go around Attarkhel (where my flat/college is), Gokarna and Jorpati. It usually takes about 1 hour to complete the walk. I have always been a morning person. A sound 7-8 hours sleep is enough for me to stay charged up for the day. I have never been able to stay in bed for a long time after waking up. Not even the warmth of the blanket, in this fast approaching Kathmandu winter, can hold me into it. I love the silence, the foggy weather (devoid of all the dust), the rising sun and the sight of all the men and women starting off their day. Also read an article on the internet recently about the health benefits of walking. It said walking was 1 of the easiest and most efficient ways for weight reduction and preventing chronic illnesses like heart diseases, diabetes and stroke. Around 1 hour per day was enough. To add to it, read an article in the Himalayan Times, a local newspaper, yesterday mentioning that heart diseases killed more people every year than any other disease in recent times. It also helps to stay active for the rest of the day. So deciding to walk, seems to be a right choice I made. And I hope I can continue it...









2 comments: